Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Elemental Beauty

First impressions make a huge difference in just about everything, especially with music. The first song you hear from an artist can make or break your view of them, and your first exposure to an entire genre can have much the same effect. To introduce me to EDM and, specifically, Monstercat, my friend had me listen to this song:


Wise choice, my friend.

When I first heard this song, I was entranced. I had to hear more! I know I wouldn't have been as eager, however, if I had listened to any Stephen Walking song. His music is very different from what I would have liked several months ago, and might have pushed me away from the entire genre.

Pizza Planet video refuses to show itself and stay there. Sorry :(

This is nothing against Walking, I just wouldn't have seen the merit of such a song. Times have changed for me. Now, Pizza Planet is in my current Top 10. It took me months to open myself to genres like Glitch Hop.

But I digress.

Fact is, if you are to be introduced to an artist or genre, a lot of beauty equates to a good impression. The better made the song is, the more skill that is evident, the more likely you will take off your headphones smiling, eager to hear more. Or, more appropriately, to find similar songs. Fortunately, most genres have some gems, songs that excite the mind in amazing ways.


Get the joke?

If I had to choose one song to classify as beautiful, I might seriously consider Elements from Fractal's Elements EP. Already, this song is undoubtedly my favorite ever. Period. Elements is a track to be reckoned with, of that Fractal has ensured. Fractal's skill in producing is evident in this track, and I am very excited to hear what he has in store. I won't rant on about the merit of this song because, quite frankly, you probably don't care. :P

But, be mindful, that song is the exception, NOT the rule! That track is truly special, a diamond among rubies (as concerns newbie appeal). Even though, to me, some of the most well produced music I've heard is of the Dubstep variety, you are better off showing off some Chillout or, better yet, good House tunes. I find that those genres appeal greatly to the uninitiated. However, beauty is objective; what determines beauty is your own mind.


Loud + This Song + Headphones = Awesome

To me, beauty can be contrived from a "complete" sounding song. In addition, the songs have a smoother feel; they don't jump around. Below, I have listed several beautiful songs, attempting to sample every main genre. Do you share my views?

Beautiful Songs
(House) Motionless (feat. Seri) - Project 46
(Dubstep) Elements - Fractal
(Drum and Bass) Timberwolf - Muzzy
(Chillout) Hysteria - Mr Fijiwiji & Direct
(House) Ultraviolet (feat. Holly Drummond) - Eminence
(Chillout) The Mentalist - Mr Fijiwiji
(Trance) Wuxia - Mitchell Claxton
(House) Collide - Hellberg & Deutgen vs Splitbreed
(House) Changes (feat. Holly Drummond) - Eminence & RedMoon
(Electro) Truth - Tristam
(Nu Disco) Tonight (feat. Holly Drummond) - TwoThirds
(Chillout) This Time Around - KOAN Sound & Asa
(Drumstep) From The Dust - Rogue

Elements EP - Fractal (OUT NOW)
1. Elements
2. Cosm

Next Post: Ravage Records Interview
Previous Post: Monstercat 015 - Outlook

No comments:

Post a Comment